Ensuring the desired service life of engines
Combustion engines with faulty components or incorrect assembly have reduced service life and cause complaints. For this reason, the engines must be tested extensively, quickly and reliably in the final production stage. Discom offers an acoustic measurement solution for combustion engines. It checks the manufacturing quality of the individual components and the functionality of the entire engine.
Acoustic measurements for components and function
Acoustic measurements with Discom sensors and analysis software provide complete testing of the combustion engine and its many different components. The following part manufacturing errors and others can be reliably detected:
- Camshafts and crankshaft: Unbalance
- Cylinder: Knocking
- Valves: Rattling
- Balance shaft: Positioned incorrectly
Discom uses special indsutrial sensors to cover different approaches to carrying out EoL testing comprehensively and exactly:
Vibration noise measurements
BKS – structure-borne sound sensor
MVS – magnetic accelerometer
Airborne sound measurements
Microphones – acquisition of engine operating noises
ROTAS software for engine testing:
Cold and hot test
Combustion engines generate periodic and unsteady noise patterns which are not covered by a simple spectral analysis. Discom has taken countermeasures in this regard and developed the only process on the market for the cycle spectrogram. It can be used for both cold tests and hot tests. The Discom system calculates a short-time spectrogram over the load cycle of the motor (720° of the crankshaft). As a result, the Discom-specific cycle spectrogram analysis makes it possible to precisely assign noise events to the angular positions in the work cycle of the engine. Defects in individual cylinders or valves are assigned directly to the cause. ROTAS Engine Testing also calculates traditional order spectra and frequency spectra to find problems related to gear wheels or compensating devices.
Horizontal bands are extracted from the cycle spectrogram and the energy content for the spectral bands is calculated. This results in spectral band curves, which can easily be analyzed based on limit curves. Different noise sources can then be pinpointed separately and the causes of the errors determined precisely.
Combustion engines have a special feature: They work in cycles associated with one revolution of the camshaft. The Discom system synchronizes itself with this cycle – via either upper dead centre pulse signal or the camshaft position signal.
Test compenents and function in one measurement
- Measurement solution for pinpointing faulty components precisely
- Functionality testing of the entire unit
- Different sensors acquire acoustic signal optimally: Vibration and airborne sound
- Innovative and tailor-made software modules for combustion engine testing
Competitive advantage in technology, know-how and quality
- Reach the desired service life of combustion engines
- Rejects, returns and complaints are reduced to a minimum
- Due to unique software module, the user has a technical, know-how and quality advantage over the competition
- Time, price and performance come together for a perfect return on investment (ROI)